The Louisiana Association of Museums has created the below reference kit for each museum to feel empowered in their advocacy efforts.
1. Contact Your Legislators
- Local Representatives
- City and/or Parish Councils
- School Board Representatives
- Louisiana State Legislature
- Find My Legislators:
- LA House
- LA Senate
- US Congress
- US Senator 1
- US Senator 2
- Louisiana State Executives
- Governor – John Bel Edwards
- Lt. Governor – Billy Nungesser
- Attorney General – Jeff Landry
- Secretary of State – Kyle Ardoin
The below websites are a great way to identify yours on the state and federal levels.
2. Create Communication Tools
- Develop your elevator pitch.
- Create an outline to highlight points as you write letters/emails.
- Create a one-pager sprinkled with infographics.
- Craft a timeline for follow up as necessary.
- Prepare annual reports upon conclusion of every fiscal year to demonstrate impact so you have statistics ready to go.
3. Engage Your Team
- Identify ways in which your staff and board members can support your efforts.
- Director: Lead and delegate with staff and board
- Marketing: Employ social media in advocacy efforts
- Development: Request letters of support for grants
- Board: Assist with outreach and leverage relationships
4. Design or Download Infographics
Louisiana museums are economic engines! See the below PDF’s created by the American Alliance of Museums for details on how museums make an impact on the state and federal levels. Use this information to design your own infographics to share with your representatives or social media followers. Check out our facebook page and repost ours for a fast and easy way to engage!
Federal – Economic Engine Report
State – Economic Engine Report
The information included on this page was gathered from the American Alliance of Museum’s Advocacy Toolkit and Economic Engine data. The Louisiana Association of Museums recommends reading the toolkit in its entirety to fully prepare for short and long-term advocacy efforts. You may purchase the toolkit here.